Weld-On 55 is a slow curing, clear colorless, two-component, 100% reactive polyurethane adhesive that contains no volatile organic compounds (VOC). When mixed and applied, it polymerizes at room temperature to form high strength bonds within a few hours. The adhesive has excellent resistance to discoloration by UV light and has excellent lap shear and impact strength.
Weld-On 55 is formulated for bonding a wide variety of thermoplastics, including polycarbonate, cellulose acetate butyrate, PETG, buffed acrylic, ABS, PVC, polyurethane and foam board to themselves and one another.
Weld-On 55 is recommended for a variety of applications in the sign assembly industry, especially butyrate trim cap and polycarbonate in channel letter applications. It also has many uses in other plastic fabrication industries for bonding ABS to PETG.
This product must be shipped via a ground service.
Typical Bond Strength†
† Substrate thickness: 0.25 inch (0.64 cm). Bond area: 1.0 in² (6.45 cm²). Ultimate Bond Strength is defined as strength achieved after 24-hour room temperature cure.
Adhesive Properties and Characteristics @ 73°F (23°C)
Directions for Use
Weld-On 55 is packaged in a twin-syringe cartridge that dispenses product in a 1:1 mix ratio. The cartridge must be assembled to the dispensing gun and mixing tip prior to dispensing.
NOTE: The viscosity of this product will allow it to flow between the polycarbonate letter and the butyrate trim cap in most channel letter applications. The application of a reinforcing bead is recommended.
One year in unopened cartridge. The date code of manufacture is stamped on the bottom of the cartridge. Shelf life is reduced at higher temperatures and enhanced at lower temperatures. To optimize shelf life, refrigerator storage is recommended and/or store in cool dark place between 50° – 80°F (10° – 27°C). Keep away from sources of heat, open flame, sparks, sunlight and moisture.
Safety and Environmental Precautions
Weld-On 55 is a reactive adhesive and is classified as a hazardous material. This product does not emit VOC. In conformance with the Federal Hazardous Substrates Labeling Act, the following hazards and precautions need to be recognized and followed.
WARNING! FLAMMABLE. VAPOR HARMFUL. MAY BE HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. MAY IRRITATE SKIN OR EYES.
Keep out of the reach of children. Do not take internally. Keep away from heat, spark, open flame and other sources of ignition. Contact with hot surfaces may produce toxic effects. Keep container closed when not in use. Store away from direct sunlight between 50º F – 80º F (10º C– 27º C). Use only in adequate ventilation. Avoid breathing of vapors. Atmospheric levels should be maintained below established exposure limit values. See Sections II and VIII of Material Safety Data Sheet. If airborne concentrations exceed these limits, use a supplied air respirator. Do not use a chemical cartridge respirator. For emergencies and other conditions where short-term exposure may be exceeded, use an approved positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus. In confined areas, use a positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). Do not smoke, eat or drink while working with this product. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothing. May cause eye injury. Protective equipment such as gloves, safety goggles, and impervious apron should be used. Carefully read Material Safety Data Sheet and follow all precautions.
Inhalation: If overcome with vapors, remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Call physician.
Eye Contact: Flush with plenty of water for 15 minutes and call a physician.
Skin Contact: Wash skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation develops, get medical attention.
Ingestion: If swallowed, give 1 or 2 glasses of water or milk. Do not induce vomiting. Contact physician or poison control center immediately.